Job OpportunitiesAs we are made of aware of openings, they are posted to our Job Opportunities page.
Upon success completion of the BA in Urban Education with a concentration in Elementary Education program, students will be entitled to a State of Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) valid for grades 1-6.
Each phase of the program must be fully completed before progressing to the next phase.
Pre-Declaration of Candidacy
During the pre-declaration of candidacy phase, you must:
- Be admitted to the UIC College of Education as Undeclared/Undecided – prior to junior year
- Complete 60 semester hours of required General Education
- Complete 50 service learning hours working with a diverse group of students in an urban educational setting.
- Receive a passing score on the an initial licensure exam (TAP, ACT with Writing, SAT with Writing)
- Declaration of Candidacy
- Completed declarations of candidacy must be submitted by the deadline given on the Dates to Remember page.
During the candidacy phase, you must:
- Take all necessary coursework including methods course(s)
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.5/4.0 in the Core Curriculum
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in concentration courses
- Complete and log all Early Field Experience hours
- Register for and Pass the ILTS Content Test #110 – Elementary/Middle Grades
- Apply for student teaching
Student teaching is the culminating phase of a teacher candidate’s course of study at UIC. It takes place in the final semester of the program. Most student teachers spend fourteen weeks or more, full-time, in an area school. With the help and support of cooperating teachers, university field instructors, peers, and other professionals at both the school and university, student teachers apply and extend their knowledge of teaching and learning.
During the student teaching phase, you must:
- Complete and submit the Technology Survey, the Exit Survey, and the edTPA in TaskStream
- Be evaluated by both your cooperating teacher and university field instructor using the Student Teaching Evaluation and/or the DECA-UT
- Learn how to apply for licensure
- File an intent to graduate, online via my.UIC
During the licensure phase, you must:
- Meet all degree requirements (degree completion is a licensure requirement)
- Have successfully completed and logged hours for all required early field experiences
- Complete and file the UIC Entitlement Application
- Upon entitlement, file licensure application online with ISBE via ELIS (Educator Licensure Information System)
During your first year as a teacher, you will be contacted and asked to complete a survey about how well you were prepared as a teacher. Please take the time to complete that survey!